bf3

why hello there

Re: bf3

Postby Git » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:52 pm

Tray wrote:The previous BF games had a login and password, which tracked your stats/ranks and whatever. I guess I should have clarified a bit. Both games have rank/xp/achievements, so a hacked copy would give very little MP playability if any at all. I did hear about private Modern Warfare servers that were in existence but I didn't really play BOs or MW2 long enough to really be interested in them. I'm debating on getting a new machine for BF3 though, just not sure if I have enough time to swing it however. Would like to build my own but it's been so long, I'm out of the loop on what I'd need.

if only you knew a plethora of people in the know. If only.
Git
Reverend of Swagger

Highscores: 10

Postby Tray » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:58 pm

If only
Tray
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Git » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:00 am

Tray wrote:If only
Git
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tray » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:02 am

Git wrote:
Tray wrote:If only
Tray
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tray » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:18 am

Quote pyramids as much fun as they are won't get me to where I want to go.

So I'm looking for a somewhat badass gaming rig. I won't say that price isn't an object, but I was looking towards an Alienware, and I was approaching the 2k mark on what I had built on the dell site. I realize I'm paying a ton for the name, so I guess I'm asking how much would it set me back for something that would last for a couple of years, and would be somewhat upgradeable.
Tray
Reverend of Swagger

Postby chandos » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:10 am

Tray wrote:Would like to build my own but it's been so long, I'm out of the loop on what I'd need.

Tray wrote:So I'm looking for a somewhat badass gaming rig. I won't say that price isn't an object, but I was looking towards an Alienware, and I was approaching the 2k mark on what I had built on the dell site. I realize I'm paying a ton for the name, so I guess I'm asking how much would it set me back for something that would last for a couple of years, and would be somewhat upgradeable.

By building your own computer, did you actually mean customizing one for purchase? I don't know how familiar you are with the advancements of the last decade or two, but you can purchase the same parts you are selecting during the customization (and the parts you can't) to assemble a much, much cheaper computer that is tailored to your wants and needs. Think of it like a hobby kit for computers much like the hobby kits for model planes or rocks...whatever was available when you were a kid.
chandos
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Sulmar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:15 am

yeah if you know how to put the parts together, I'd def recommend buying the parts online and making your own
the only downside is you have to buy an OS, and those are comparable in price to new graphics cards (ie gayishly high)

even if you're out of the loop on hardware changes and whatnot, it's still all basically the same
here's a handy flowchart I made to help you

buildcompflow.PNG

here's the power supply link since it probably won't copy
Sulmar
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Git » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:53 am

When you buy a company-made rig, you end up getting a lot of parts from less reliable brands. That's why I don't buy alienware, it might be the fastest shit on planet earth but if it's made with shitty mongolian bargain bit components it'll last you about 2 years before it turns in to a headache.
Git
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tray » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:47 am

Yes Chandos, save for my Asus Laptop and the original Dell XPS I bought that was a steal, and I've been upgrading it, I've built every machine I've owned. The problem is, I haven't had to "build" one in quite some time, probably since WOW Classic.

Sulmar, I'll look at that, I'm not worried about the mechanical side of building a machine, as I doubt that has changed much, I'm more concerned with getting components that work well together.

GIt, I also realize that they manufacture items in bulk, in my opinion for something like an Alienware you pay for the ability to not have to think about speccing out a machine, as well as the warranty, so if that mongolian RAM shits the bed, you get another stick of said mongolian RAM.
Tray
Reverend of Swagger

Postby sturdyTURTLE » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:44 am

omg chandos is going to be playing games omg
Reeve
Manager of the BRouge Raccoonicorns, the 2012 RoS Fantasy Football League Champions
sturdyTURTLE
Reverend of Swagger

Postby sturdyTURTLE » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:51 am

also, I've ACTUALLY built all of my computers. just pirate the OS, and spend the money you save on better parts.
Reeve
Manager of the BRouge Raccoonicorns, the 2012 RoS Fantasy Football League Champions
sturdyTURTLE
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Sulmar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Tray wrote:Sulmar, I'll look at that, I'm not worried about the mechanical side of building a machine, as I doubt that has changed much, I'm more concerned with getting components that work well together.

yes that's why the chart is ez-mode and newbie-friendly
it's pretty much tailored to help get the parts you want that also mesh with everything else
it assumes you know more than nothing about computers, but not much, so you should be fine
Sulmar
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tray » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:33 pm

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD5 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Power Supply
CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (2x for 16 gig)

HD
Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Was looking at SSD but have heard they're prone to failure

For a graphics card I'm at a loss here, I don't know if I should splurge for the higher priced card (GTX 580 ) or would an SLI setup be better? (GTX 560 or 550 x 2)
Tray
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Git » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 pm

I run a striped raid for my OS on a pair of 40 gb SSDs, anything outside of your OS access speeds really aren't a great performance improvement. Maybe in loading initial files and shit but that's minimal. Your OS is constantly referencing the hard drive for info, so SSD is good for that. A raid (assuming you dont know) ensures that you have a backup incase one crashes. I hate reformatting. Also with the way windows 7 works, you can ghost out your OS partition and if anything crashes restore it from that (assuming you dont want to do a raid).

I am available for any assistance in getting this setup. For 99.9% of people a normal magnetic disc drive for a HDD is fine, they make 10,000 rpm ones now I think, I use WD drives because I've always used them and their warranty is no questions asked which I dig, because when my HDs near the end of their lives I just stick an industrial magnet on it and spin it up, which kills it pretty good.
Git
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Git » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:58 pm

SLI is shit in my opinion, the technology hasn't really caught up with the games and lord knows if it ever will. Just get the previous "latest and greatest" card, the difference between the prior 2 generations in terms of cost to performance is huge.

I also love asus parts. If asus makes a component I need, I will buy it.

graphics card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121446

you could get 2 of these if you really wanted to SLI
Git
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tray » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm in agreement with the Asus stuff, I looked at the gigabyte MB simply because I'd had one before. I don't know if Asus' ROG line for MBs is decent, but I really dig the laptop I got, and will probably get another one from them next year.

I'm not necessarily against SSD and the setup you described might alleviate any problems I'd experience, I had just read that SSD failures are simply a question of when rather than if. So essentially you have an OS 40 gig, a raid 40 gig for the backup, then your program files drive? Which would be doable as then I'd go with say a 1 TB drive as opposed to the partitioned 2TB HD and I'd be about the same money investment with a faster OS. I'm also a fan of WD as well, which is why I went that route, was unaware of the 10k rpm drives.

I'm not pro SLI just that it seemed to be all the rage currently. I'm not convinced that FPS is king for games, and that's what SLI's biggest offer seems to be is a higher FPS rate. I read an article on Toms awhile back basically saying that they're testing cards wrong with going for pure frames per second, I'll try to find it again.
Tray
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Sulmar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:16 pm

sturdyTURTLE wrote:also, I've ACTUALLY built all of my computers. just pirate the OS, and spend the money you save on better parts.

meh...an OS is a pretty big operation to trust a pirated version, imo
I had a pirated XP when it was fairly new, but microsoft's anti-pirating junk failed it years later (or maybe I was just concerned? i don't recall)
anyway, you can find cheap legit OS's if you try hard enough. If you know anyone currently enrolled at a university, they generally allow students to purchase a copy for $5-10
easy birthday present from them
Sulmar
Reverend of Swagger

Postby chandos » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:21 pm

sturdyTURTLE wrote:omg chandos is going to be playing games omg

I'm so slow. I just put together your real life height and that you played a gnome.

Get an SSD (and a good video card). It is a night and day difference. A quality SSD manufacturer will allay your concerns.
chandos
Reverend of Swagger

Postby chandos » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:49 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRqfFfuVuNE
BF3 Multiplayer Trailer

Umm...I think I need a better video card.
chandos
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tray » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:25 pm

Git,

Looking at these for my Mobo and CPU, it's higher priced, but I'm trying to future proof myself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131666

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115070

Looks like the video card you linked is the overclocked version of the one I did. For SLI I should be able to run 1 card then if I choose to get a second at a later date, I'd be able to correct?

Right now I'm about 1k into things with what I've got on my wishlist. Essentially Mobo, CPU, Power Supply, Ram, Vid Card. So that would leave, hard drive setup, CD/DVD, cooling system (if I go that route, and I think I might) and a case. I've got a copy of windows 7 pro already, and I still have a decent 24" widescreen monitor. Anything you see that I'm missing?
Tray
Reverend of Swagger

PreviousNext

Return to General