Weight Loss ?

why hello there

Weight Loss ?

Postby Git » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:29 pm

They are having a contest up at work. Whoever loses the highest percentage of weight over the next 3 months starting right after xmas wins two plane tickets to anywhere + 500 spending cash.

So naturally I want to lose some fucking weight like a boss. I've succumbed to the low carb diet thing, and eating smaller portions, but as far as excercise can I just run in the mornings or do I need to do something else?
Git
Reverend of Swagger

Highscores: 10

Re: Weight Loss ?

Postby sturdyTURTLE » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:54 pm

if you do some weight training, the muscles you build will burn more calories for you.
Reeve
Manager of the BRouge Raccoonicorns, the 2012 RoS Fantasy Football League Champions
sturdyTURTLE
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tray » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:43 pm

Go through the @rhenn post. I'll get with you on vent when I get home in the next day or two.
Tray
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Timos » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Those contests are biased against skinny people
Timos
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Git » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:51 pm

Timos wrote:Those contests are biased against skinny people

not really. If you're 20-30 lbs overweight you'll have a higher percentage of weight loss if you lose 20-30 lbs.

I have 14 or so weeks, I want to lose 4-5 lbs a week on average. I really dont know how I'm going to fit going to a gym in to my life, though. I have a pair of 25 lb free weights.
Git
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tray » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:36 pm

How are they measuring it? Pure weight loss or lowering of body fat percentage?

If it's pure weight loss, then you'll want so simply do a lot of cardio. There are a couple of programs you can torrent, say P90X or Insanity that take little to no equipment, and they are essentially high intensity circuit complexes. Weight training will help with weight loss, but you'd want to go with light weights and high reps. You would essentially not want to build any measurable mass because it would end up fucking you on your overall weight loss.

Alternatively if they go by BF% then building muscle would be better as it would essentially double dip for your goals. As was mentioned more muscle mass would help burn more fat. The problem lies therein with the fact that you'd have to be much more vigilant in watching your diet. Essentially feeding the muscles to grow, and not atrophy away.
Tray
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tray » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:41 am

Also you need to start bulking, like now. If the start date is the 26th that gives you some time to get a bloat going. Try to eat clean but eat a bunch of it. You can also game the system a bit, if they let you weigh during the day, then you need to weigh in initially in the afternoon, drink lots of water, eat a lot of carbs. This will give you an inflated weight for the weigh in, then after you weigh in, start with your diet. When you weigh out at the end, you want to get your weight checked first thing in the morning, as that is when you're at your lightest.

You can try to do some weight training right now, if you can visit the gym for the next couple of days then great, you want to focus on high weights and low reps, while eating a ton. Once the contest starts, that's when you'll transition into your low weights high reps routine.
Tray
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tray » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:50 am

You also want to look towards 3-4 pounds per week on average. If you get everything dialed in 40 ish pounds in 3 months time is an awesome result. Assuming you have 40 pounds to lose. One thing you said is very correct, if you're competing against morbidly obese people, you're going to have a hard time, because they'll simply stop drinking soda, and doing light exercise and they'll gain far greater results. If you know everyone who is competing, then you might have to employ some subterfuge, and try to undermine their diets. Ie bringing donuts to the office/work area and whatnot
Tray
Reverend of Swagger

Postby bacon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:11 am

Tray wrote:You also want to look towards 3-4 pounds per week on average. If you get everything dialed in 40 ish pounds in 3 months time is an awesome result. Assuming you have 40 pounds to lose. One thing you said is very correct, if you're competing against morbidly obese people, you're going to have a hard time, because they'll simply stop drinking soda, and doing light exercise and they'll gain far greater results. If you know everyone who is competing, then you might have to employ some subterfuge, and try to undermine their diets. Ie bringing donuts to the office/work area and whatnot

just like a reverend
bacon
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Rhen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:14 am

I like it.

When one of my coworkers and his wife decided to have a baby he started bringing tons of snacks to work in order to fatten up the rest of the crew. It was genius....and it worked.
Toe to toe friend or foe it's all that I know
Rhen
Reverend of Swagger

Postby chandos » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:23 am

In 3 months time, I look forward to welcoming you into the Society of Ridiculously Fit People. You will increase our membership to three. Our first order of business will be to vote on a motion to expel Jared from our ranks. We haven’t been able to achieve a quorum because he can no longer fit through the doors of our hallowed meeting hall and I suspect he’d vote in opposition.
chandos
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Git » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:17 pm

I probably have 35 pounds to lose to be pretty close to a healthy BMI. I can go lower, and would like to. It's based off sheer poundage start verse poundage finishing. I think it's pretty stupid considering people aren't encouraged to get more fit, but rather just to lose a shit ton of weight (ie your stop drinking soda and walk a mile twice weekly plan for fatties, sure you're lighter but your heart is still a piece of shit).

I can go outside and run for cardio, or do P90X, I have a bootleg of that already. It looked like some of that shit involved equipment though. I didn't know if I would have to be able to do all of the exercises to get the correct result. Is that workout to build bulk and definition? It seems like it was marketed as such. Though from a cardio standpoint it seems pretty fuckin insane too.

I'm going to a Dr. to get checked out first, it's required as part of the competition. That's where I'll get weighed in. What is the heaviest thing I can eat/drink? Just a shit ton of water prior to going in?

I want to skew the fuck out of these numbers, and I want to go as quick as I can. I looked at this cleanse thing where you do nothing but drink a lemonade drink thing for 10 days, I thought I might finish with that. Also this HCG thing looks pretty whack, haha.

Can you advise a meal plan for me tray? There were a few things posted under the @Rhenn thread but they all seemed to have differing views. I am going to try my damndest to get in an hour at least of cardio every day. One seemed like you loaded on carbs one day, and then skipped off it, and back on. I don't get that at all. I also don't really understand the way my body processes food and different things cause different responses, and what kinds of things are good to eat when (ie carbs before or after a workout, or not eating before a workout. My buddy who is in pretty good shape says he runs before he eats anything in the morning and that gets the weight off quickest)

Thanks for your help man. I'll send you a postcard when I fucking win this shit.
Git
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Rhen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:32 pm

P90X has 3 different programs on the dvd and it's a pretty solid overall fitness workout. If you have a pullup bar and a couple free weights you'll be fine, or bands can take the place of the weights. I got an Iron Gym pullup bar that goes in the door frame and doubles as a pushup bar for $20 at a sporting goods store and it worked great in the 1 doorway it would fit in.
Toe to toe friend or foe it's all that I know
Rhen
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Rodviper » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Look up insanity. almost the same as p90x but better. take a b4 and after pic too
Rodviper
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tray » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:47 pm

With either P90x or insanity, you'll want to forgo the weight stuff, as it'll build mass. If it's something like lunges or squats, then you'll do them with body weight. I'd suggest finding a park close by that you can run to. I have one by the house that I hit that gives me 3 different pull up variations. Since you're going to want to do this on the cheap, you'll have to think outside the box a bit.

Fasted cardio, (the stuff your buddy does in the morning) does indeed burn more. If you're simply running, then I'd suggest doing that as soon as you get up.

I'll draw up a diet, but it's really going to have to be modified by you. I mean I can give you some ideas to go off of, but you'll want to sign up for fit day, and start keeping a food log.

http://www.fitday.com/webfit/Index4.html (it's free, just make an account)

Some things I'd suggest in buying.

A decent tasting protein, low in carbs and fat. This is my favorite in the banana flavor, but Optimum Nutrition makes all sorts of flavors and is similar to Biotest's. Max muscle and GNC sometimes have sales and or a sampler pack for you to try. Obviously you can find things cheaper online. I know you want this on the cheap but the thing is, you'll be utilzing protein shakes as a meal replacement most times, so you'll want something that you don't have to gag down. I like going with a banana or strawberry, then mixing a cheaper vanilla for a Julius style shake.

A thermometer - There will be 2 things you'll do every morning before you do your cardio. Weigh yourself and take your temperature. Record both. You'll simply be looking at the average throughout the week for weight, and the temperature will tell you if your metabolism is speeding up (body temp increases) You'll be using these 2 readings to determine how well the diet is going.

Fish Oil Caps & Metamucil - orange flavor Best thing I've found to stave off hunger pangs. A couple of caps and a glass of fiber and you're good to go.

A jump rope - you'll get tired of running, and want to mix it up.

A decent multivitamin - not that centrum bullshit

Mio flavorings - as water will get old and boring.

Water, lots and lots of water. Plan for your plan, you'll be drinking nothing but water. You can mix in some green tea, but it can't have any carbs in it, and it would be better to not have aspartame either like the diet versions have.

In addition to finding a park, also look for stairs and hills. A HS football field works for the stairs. Hills might be more problematic, but you'll want to do hill sprints. Which are exactly like they sound, sprint up the hill, jog down.

I'd suggest not going with the HCG deal, as it's not very healthy. I can set you up with a liver cleanse that you can do towards the end, but we'll see where you're at with everything. If you keep your diet 90% compliant, then there really won't be a need for a cleanse however.
Tray
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Git » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:55 pm

So anything in p90x that involves weights i should skip? Or just do the exercises with no weights? I'm cool buying a pullup doorframe bar or something, though a doorframe might be hard to find.

I dont want to do it like insanely cheap 100% budget, if theres shit i gotta buy then im alright with it just dont want to spend more than 150 total if I can avoid it.

For this protein stuff, how many do I need to buy?

Is all fish oil created the same?

Any suggestions on the "decent multivitamin"? I don't know the diff between decent and shitty.

I actually enjoy water and drink it pretty regular. and I was jk about the HCG thing that does not sound like something I want to do.

Also this is a starting point like you said but I need to plan my meals out as much as possible and just prepare them all on one day if possible, or at least as much as I can. This'll keep the wife from getting fuckin stressed about cooking extra meals and stuff.
Git
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tray » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:28 pm

I'm a fan of AST: Multi Pro 32X because it's a decent vitamin and relatively cheap at 14 bucks for 100. Most all the NOW brands are decent and I believe you can get them relatively cheap in a Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

For Fish Oil I tend to splurge here, but again the NOW brand is of decent quality. So is Optimum.

For protein hit up a GNC for now, and see about buying smaller packs until you find one you like. I use the shit out of the sugar free flavoring MIO, and then mix it with vanilla protein personally. For protein you'll want something with a lot of protein per scoop and fewer carbs/sugars.

Once you get your weigh in done, PM me the results, and we'll work out the ratios you'll want to shoot for. At first it might seem your eating more, as most people under eat for their weight, so initially we'll want to bring your metabolism back up, then take down calories by 500 until you start seeing results.

What I end up doing a lot of times for meals is I BBQ a ton of chicken breasts on Sat or Sun. Put them in ziploc bags, then I'm able to nuke them, and eat with a side of spinach and pepper flavored olive oil.

Have you played around with Fit Day yet? If you haven't, start logging your meals. They don't have to be exact, but be as close in estimating as you can.
Tray
Reverend of Swagger

Return to General