Dwarf Fortress

why hello there

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Postby Tenebris » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Beginner's Guide Links. As always, all of these links are stolen from /vg/

>Helpful beginner material

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ •>The game. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 2012 (34.11)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php •>The official forums.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2801 •>The Lazy Newb Pack release. Comes with pre-installed tile/graphicsets, utilities, keybindings, and more.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page •>Wiki for all your dwarfly needs, down to every last mineral.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/ ... tart_guide •>The fastest way to get ready to strike the earth. Concise and simple text + images.

youtube.com/51ppycup and youtube.com/captnduck •>Great tutorial/LP. Hugely entertaining, and very informative, highly recommended for someone wanting to get into Dwarf Fortress.

http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/ ... fortress-p
art-1-wtf/ •> Excellent web guide for beginning players. Set in a very old version of DF, but the basics are still the same

http://archive.foolz.us/vg/thread/14491968 •> The beginning of this thread has some useful tips for Adventure mode.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6741 •>Binary patch fixing a few bugs. Highly recommended

/vg/ •>Ask away, because /vg/ is generally helpful in DF threads, but it's no substitute for checking the wiki yourself.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?punjbnzo5z4xw14 •>Archive with flowcharts and guides

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vgy ... edit?pli=1 •>Changelog for the upcoming release. Estimated to be released in Q1 2013

Strike the earth!
Tenebris
Reverend of Swagger

Postby tonavin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:24 pm

I feel like my brain is eating itself when I try to decipher anything at all about this
tonavin
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Winter-fuckin'fell » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:30 pm

tonavin wrote:I feel like my brain is eating itself when I try to decipher anything at all about this

Agreed.

Indecipherable fucking nerds... =D
Winter-fuckin'fell
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tenebris » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:46 pm

bacon wrote:what do engineers do? and why don't you have a Wrestler dwarf named the undertaker?

It's really hard to have a dwarf in the military not use a weapon. You have to like individually assign every piece of equipment and most of them use 20-30+ items at a time. And unarmed AI controlled dwarves are absolutely worthless at dealing any damage to anyone who even just has clothes on.

Engineers do mechanical things like building and operating siege equipment, building and maintaining traps, and a few other mechanical things which are way too complicated for me to understand. I've ever only built one reactor. I had to go step by step with a video guide and I still had to pump it 90% of the time. I don't have an aquifer for a water wheel which would be easy enough because I didn't feel like dealing with aquifers which are just heinous if you don't know what you're doing. Which I only very slightly do.

EDIT: It's always been much easier for me to just good ole dwarven hands to power anything that requires power. Pumps aren't DWARF SCIENCE but they get the job done.
Tenebris
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tenebris » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:49 pm

I have to rely upon Goblin Christmas for any iron I want on this godforsaken embark I chose. Admittedly I get several Christmas's every year....

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/ ... _christmas

Tenebris
Reverend of Swagger

Postby bacon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:03 pm

hahahahahahhaa goblin christmas. the people who play this game have such a deranged sense of humor
bacon
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tenebris » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:10 pm

Winter-fuckin'fell wrote:
tonavin wrote:I feel like my brain is eating itself when I try to decipher anything at all about this

Agreed.

Indecipherable fucking nerds... =D

the really sad part is these graphics are 100x better than the default ones.
Tenebris
Reverend of Swagger

Postby bacon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:48 pm

and holy shit the admantine dwarf. ahahhaha. If only there were actual graphics to this game instead of just letters. If this game was just a little more like minecraft in that sense, it'd be huge.
bacon
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tenebris » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:03 pm

starting up a fortress in a terrifying region at work with not one but TWO Necromancer towers next to it. I did this yesterday and lost all my dwarves in about 4 minutes.

EDIT: already been attacked by one undead tick woman within 30 seconds but luckily my macedwarf took the bitch out. Of course she'll rise again soon..... Need some magma to dump bodies in.

EDIT2: the problem with evil regions isn't just the undead constantly trying to murder you. The weather kills you. Acid rain burns your flesh, rot drops from the sky and decays your dwarfs that pass through it. Everyone is constantly sick if they so much as glance outside. Random gas clouds pass through and the best thing they can do is instantly murder your dwarves. The worst is instantly turn them into unstoppable husks that cant be killed by anything except decapitation. Oh yeah and any body you don't burn or butcher will rise again. Better hope you don't chop off the rotted hand of that giant undead wombat-man though when you kill him though. The hand will re-animate as well. The fingers you chop off will re-animate. The hair of the cat that foolishly went outside will re-animate. Blunt weapons are the only thing you can use, unless of course you get the aforementioned husks.

Necromancers are, of course, even worse. They can teleport anywhere and teleport in undead anywhere as well. They can do this all in stealth. Fun times.

EDIT3: And an undead giant monkey ran through a murdered everyone.

EDIT4: my first and second attempts to reclaim and quickly wall off everything have only ended up filling the area with more undead. time to fully abandon this area.
Tenebris
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Winter-fuckin'fell » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Tenebris wrote:starting up a fortress in a terrifying region at work with not one but TWO Necromancer towers next to it. I did this yesterday and lost all my dwarves in about 4 minutes.

EDIT: already been attacked by one undead tick woman within 30 seconds but luckily my macedwarf took the bitch out. Of course she'll rise again soon..... Need some magma to dump bodies in.

EDIT2: the problem with evil regions isn't just the undead constantly trying to murder you. The weather kills you. Acid rain burns your flesh, rot drops from the sky and decays your dwarfs that pass through it. Everyone is constantly sick if they so much as glance outside. Random gas clouds pass through and the best thing they can do is instantly murder your dwarves. The worst is instantly turn them into unstoppable husks that cant be killed by anything except decapitation. Oh yeah and any body you don't burn or butcher will rise again. Better hope you don't chop off the rotted hand of that giant undead wombat-man though when you kill him though. The hand will re-animate as well. The fingers you chop off will re-animate. The hair of the cat that foolishly went outside will re-animate. Blunt weapons are the only thing you can use, unless of course you get the aforementioned husks.

Necromancers are, of course, even worse. They can teleport anywhere and teleport in undead anywhere as well. They can do this all in stealth. Fun times.

EDIT3: And an undead giant monkey ran through a murdered everyone.

EDIT4: my first and second attempts to reclaim and quickly wall off everything have only ended up filling the area with more undead. time to fully abandon this area.

This reads like a creepy, insane asylum-esque, scrawled-on-the-wall-in-blood journal of some unfortunate psychotic soul living in a Middle Earthen hell.

I would like to subscribe.
Winter-fuckin'fell
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tenebris » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:39 pm

Tenebris
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Winter-fuckin'fell » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:09 pm

I lol'd
Winter-fuckin'fell
Reverend of Swagger

Postby bacon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:14 am

what's the most outrageous thing that happened to you zack?

bacon
Reverend of Swagger

Postby bacon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:44 am

been reading stories about the game because it is massively entertaining:

The following two pics are related: there was a Forgotten Beast (kind of like a Titan but underground, and tougher) wandering around in some caverns I had unearthed before. I had walled off the entrances so it couldn't get it, but it was wandering around in there. Seeing as I'd just provided my new and heavily drilled crack force of 10 young dwarves with shiny new all-steel plate uniforms and weapons, I decided to let them loose on it. So...I opened the wall. What followed was a titanic battle in which the FUCKER WOULD JUST NOT FUCKING DIE. What's worse, it had a sort of dust blowing attack that made my soldiers nauseous and stunned them. The hardened guys just fought on regardless (while vomiting all the time) though. Check this out...this was shortly before he actually died. After like days and days of in-game fighting.

In the meantime I'd let the Forgotten Beast in that was wandering around and told you about the epic fight (see above post), but I didn't say everything. I 'forgot' to mention that the reason the first squad couldn't hurt it for ages was because I'd equipped them with fucking empty crossbows. They were using them to bash the Beast over and over again, hahahah. Most of them became legendary hammer users after those days and days of melee figthing with an empty crossbow tho! So at least SOME good came of it. Mental note: manually pick militia weapons next time...and pay attention while doing so.

So, I'm just wandering along through this forest, looking for a cave where I could maybe kill some dragons or something and get their fat loot. This was shortly after I had gotten my throwing to legendary +2 (remember this).

I came across a cave and thought, "Well, maybe it'll be filled with giants or something."

Wrong.

There was a bronze colossus.

He told me his name then proceeded to bum rush down the side of the mountain after me. Tripping over my feet, I tried to run away and disturbed a nest of fluffy wamblers at the bottom of the mountain. They immediately spread forth in a great cloud at my feet. So, I did as any adventurer would do. I stuffed them in my backback in an attempt to make some money out of this encounter.

Maybe I could sell them or something.

The bronze colossus was coming up from behind when I was struck with the awesome idea to begin throwing these bunnies at the bronze colossus.

The result was astonishing, and I could do nothing but stand up from my computer with my fist held high in the air, because I had just beaten the game.

How deranged do you have to be to go "this massive titan made of bronze is chasing after me and is going to step on me and crush me to dust. Better stuff these bunnies in my backpack...no, better throw these bunnies at that thing's head."
bacon
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tenebris » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:47 am

bacon wrote:what's the most outrageous thing that happened to you zack?

this happened last night. A Forgotten Beast spawned in the second cavern layer. Your typical cyclops tri-armed spider creature with a scorpion tail.

My militia captain walked up to it and literally punched its lower body off in one hit before getting webbed. I mean she has an axe. A really good axe that she has killed a dozen goblins with. Apparently she didn't feel it necessary to use.
Tenebris
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tenebris » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:52 am

bacon wrote:been reading stories about the game because it is massively entertaining:

Spoiler: show
The following two pics are related: there was a Forgotten Beast (kind of like a Titan but underground, and tougher) wandering around in some caverns I had unearthed before. I had walled off the entrances so it couldn't get it, but it was wandering around in there. Seeing as I'd just provided my new and heavily drilled crack force of 10 young dwarves with shiny new all-steel plate uniforms and weapons, I decided to let them loose on it. So...I opened the wall. What followed was a titanic battle in which the FUCKER WOULD JUST NOT FUCKING DIE. What's worse, it had a sort of dust blowing attack that made my soldiers nauseous and stunned them. The hardened guys just fought on regardless (while vomiting all the time) though. Check this out...this was shortly before he actually died. After like days and days of in-game fighting.

In the meantime I'd let the Forgotten Beast in that was wandering around and told you about the epic fight (see above post), but I didn't say everything. I 'forgot' to mention that the reason the first squad couldn't hurt it for ages was because I'd equipped them with fucking empty crossbows. They were using them to bash the Beast over and over again, hahahah. Most of them became legendary hammer users after those days and days of melee figthing with an empty crossbow tho! So at least SOME good came of it. Mental note: manually pick militia weapons next time...and pay attention while doing so.

So, I'm just wandering along through this forest, looking for a cave where I could maybe kill some dragons or something and get their fat loot. This was shortly after I had gotten my throwing to legendary +2 (remember this).

I came across a cave and thought, "Well, maybe it'll be filled with giants or something."

Wrong.

There was a bronze colossus.

He told me his name then proceeded to bum rush down the side of the mountain after me. Tripping over my feet, I tried to run away and disturbed a nest of fluffy wamblers at the bottom of the mountain. They immediately spread forth in a great cloud at my feet. So, I did as any adventurer would do. I stuffed them in my backback in an attempt to make some money out of this encounter.

Maybe I could sell them or something.

The bronze colossus was coming up from behind when I was struck with the awesome idea to begin throwing these bunnies at the bronze colossus.

The result was astonishing, and I could do nothing but stand up from my computer with my fist held high in the air, because I had just beaten the game.

How deranged do you have to be to go "this massive titan made of bronze is chasing after me and is going to step on me and crush me to dust. Better stuff these bunnies in my backpack...no, better throw these bunnies at that thing's head."

adventure mode is crazy. I've never really touched it. I just stick to fortress mode.
Tenebris
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Tenebris » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:20 am

My obese Militia Commander (different than the captain that punched the Forgotten Beast).

This dude has been through so many battles and is scarred all over. He's missing a foot, fights and trains in crutches 24/7. Like about half of my military, he's emotionally scarred from seeing all his friends and family die in the goblin wars.
Tenebris
Reverend of Swagger

Postby bacon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:20 pm

God I love this shit.
bacon
Reverend of Swagger

Postby Sulmar » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Sulmar
Reverend of Swagger

PreviousNext